Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Middle School YA Lit?

Okay, I admit it: I am a snob and lazy. As much as I know I should read more "middle school" YA literature, I just find it hard to do. I was never a middle school teacher and haven't spent any extended time in a middle school since I was in eighth grade (1982, I think). I love high school! I love YA and Alex award winners that push the boundaries. So, what do I with middle school YA lit?

I received a copy of Torrey Maldonado's Secret Saturdays recently and picked it up after a very happy reading of The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate--which I loved.

However, I just am having a hard time with Secret Saturdays.



His book has gotten some good endorsements, and two very good reviews on amazon.com, but I am not loving it but I think it is because I (a) don't know how middle schoolers, especially sixth graders talk; (b) don't know how urban, big city middle schoolers talk; (c) don't know how middle schoolers think.

I am just over halfway through and am curious to learn the mystery of the secret Saturdays. I do think this novel, subject-wise, would resonate with many students: bullying, self-image, doing the right thing, single-parents.

I am curious if anyone has read this book yet and can tell me if it is authentic.

No comments:

Post a Comment