Sunday, August 1, 2010

Ever wish someone dead?



This question that Todd Strasser explores in Wish You Were Dead (2009), a book I devoured in just 90 minutes on the stationary bike at the gym. I literally could not put this book down and until very close to the end (I stayed on the bike in order to finish!), I could not figure out who was responsible for the kidnappings of three high school students.

The book crosses genres: suspense, thriller, and realistic fiction. We learn on thge first page that a high school student is miserable and hates herself because of a popular girl named Lucy (among other classmates). In fact, the mysterious blogger wishes Lucy was dead. Shortly after, Lucy is kidnapped and we get the perspective of the kidnapper who has no mercy for the teen.

Then, there are two more kidnappings--Lucy's ex-boyfriend (Adam) and the classmate he was "cheating" on Lucy with, Courtney.

Alternating between anonymous blog posts with responses, the kidnapper's thoughts, and the actual story, told by Madison, a fried of the missing trio of teens, the book is fast-paced and will keep readers hooked (I was not totally sold on the last page, but I couldn't think of any other way to end the book).

I am a big Strasser fan, ever since I found and used his short story "On the Bridge" (which he still provides free of charge for classroom use here. This book will not disappoint teen readers.

I am now on to Gone by Michael Grant (the first in a series), Terry Pratchett's Nation, and Libba Bray's Rebel Angels . . . all building up for August 24 and Mockingjay!

No comments:

Post a Comment