Wednesday, September 8, 2010

A Poem About YA Lit

I am currently taking a course regarding composition techniques for secondary students. One of my assignments was to create a map poem. This type of poem is generally a list poem that maps an area. We were supposed to map some place that was important to us. I decided to map my YA book shelf. However, I took it a step further, and, instead of just a list, I wrote a full poem using YA Lit titles. The titles are capitalized, and I was somehow able to do this in alphabetical order by author. I hope you like it.

The YAL Path

The CATALYST which helps me break my CHAINS
is the desire to SPEAK up against the FEED of oppression.
I KNOW WHY THE CAGED BIRD SINGS,
and I do not need to GO ASK ALICE.
The isn't THE SONG OF AN INNOCENT BYSTANDER
or a HATELIST about ALL THE BROKEN PIECES.
But BEFORE I DIE I will be FORGED BY FIRE in the DARKNESS BEFORE DAWN,
because there is SOMETHING WICKED about this world,
and I must break the RULES before I WAKE, FADE, and am GONE.
But FALLEN ANGELS are not always MONSTERs,
and BEFORE I FALL I will write one LAST SONG.
It will cause some to SHIVER and others to LINGER.
The UGLIES will rise and overcome the PRETTIES, SPECIALS, and EXTRAS.
But in the end this is just THE STORY OF A GIRL.

1 comment: